Woodworking is a term used to refer to the skill of making items from wood. Wood items can include cabinet making other skills like wood carving, joinery, carpentry, and woodturning. The woods commonly depended on are of basic types: hardwoods, softwoods. The common Wood DIY Tools are as discussed below.
These are essential Wood DIY Tools in doing DIY wood projects. The power drill is needed when doing drilling and screwing. A power drill is power-driven. It rotates a replaceable drill bit to make a hole in wood. This tool requires little maintenance. It can be damaged by improper use for example using the wrong drip bit which can lug down and damage the motor.
Wood chisels are of different types designed for a specific application. Some of the common applications of wood chisels include;
- Carpentry joints
- Housing joint
- Butterfly joint
This is a wood tool that is specialized to make cuts at a variety of angles. In DIY wood projects, a miter saw can be used in making cuts for crown molding, picture frames, door frames, and window casings. There are different miter saw variations which include;
- Compound miter saw. This is a miter saw that features blades that pivot left and right for angled cuts and it tilts in a single direction for beveled cuts.
- Dual compound miters. This miter saw can bevels at any angle, it can tilt both left and right.
- Sliding miter saw. These Wood DIY Tools are versatile and have a sliding feature, the blade can be moved forward and backward. The sliding feature increases the length of the cut it provides.
Generally, a miter saw is used in making regular board cuts, angled miter cuts, compound angle cuts. It’s also essential in general DIY work such as flooring, remodeling, and trim work.
This is a powerful tool that uses a toothed disc to cut through different materials. A circular saw uses a rotary motion for its spin and materials. When purchasing a circular saw, there are crucial criteria one should consider. The power, size, and brake system should be considered. The following are the uses of a circular saw;
- Cutting large seized timbers
- Cutting logs into firewood
- Doing straight cuts
- Making cross-cutting in the length of longboards and timber.
- Creating bevels in joining separate blocks with more power at a 45-degree angle.
- Cutting down long plywood.
Pocket Hole jig:-
This is a wood tool that joins two wood boards together. The tool allows the DIYER to butt two boards to each other and secure them with screws.
Routers can perform a series of tasks, ranging from custom molding, cut edges, and carving designs, creating grooves in wood, creating wooding joinery, and other tasks. The router has a flat base with a rotating blade that extends past the base. Routers are commonly used in cabinetry. It is one of the most versatile power tools. The common two types of routers are fixed base and plunge base routers. With these two routers, the following tasks can be performed.
- Creating rounded edges
- Making a sign
- Bevel a frame
- Making a cutting board
- Making raised panel doors
- Trimming wood
- Drill clean holes
- Creating decorative flutings
A clamp is a versatile tool used to serve temporarily hold work securely in place. Clamps are used in several other applications in carpentry and woodworking. A bar clamp is used for woodwork, especially for holding edges when gluing. A c-clamp is used in holding small pieces or in furniture repair. In most cases, a clamp should be tightened to fit the workpiece with the jaws which are parallel.
The most used types of wood sanders are belt, random orbital sanders, disc sanders, and finishing sanders. The different types have their specialized purposes.
- Belt sanders. They allow the removal of large amounts of materials in a very short time. They are highly effective for removing roughness and preparing woodwork for less aggressive tools.
- Random orbital sander. This tool polishes woodwork pieces to nearly the same gleam as a fine finishing sander.
- Disc Sander. This is needed where rougher work is a lot and the material needs removal before one moves on to a finer surface.
- Finishing sander. This is for finishing work of wood projects. The tool has a square or rectangular sanding pad.
Wood fillers are useful in the actual construction of woodworking projects. Wood fillers are of two types, water-based and petroleum-based. It is used when;
- Filling nicks, scratches, and gouges in unfinished furniture
- Filing gouges and holes in wood flooring
- Molding and shaping damaged edges on tabletops, countertops, and shelves.
This wood tool is effective when working on small workpieces. This can be decorative window trim and casings, assembling small objects like bird feeders. They can also be used in holding two pieces of wood together when gluing. When getting a brad nailer, one should consider the type of power source which would be best for him. The durability of the tool is another factor to be considered.